Aras an Uachtarain
Phoenix Park, Dublin
Now the Residence of the President of Ireland, Aras an Uachtarain, started as a modest brick house for the Phoenix Park Chief Ranger in 1751.
It was subsequently acquired as an occasional residence for the Lords Lieutenants and gradually evolved to a large mansion.
After Ireland gained independence, it was occupied by three Governors General between 1922 and 1937, prior to the first president Dr Douglas Hyde taking up residence there.
19th century architects Francis Johnston, Jacob Owen and Decimus Burton, and more recently, Raymond McGrath, as well as stuccodores Michael Stapleton and Bartholomew Cramillion contributed to its gradual expansion, gardens and interiors