Birr Castle DemesneROSSE ROW, BIRR, CO. OFFALY R42 V027
Birr Castle Demesne is a hidden treasure and a firm favourite, with something for every visitor.
Birr Castle Demesne remains one of Ireland’s top attractions.
New this season is our recently upgraded Treehouse Adventure playground that has received some new additions including a swing set, swinging basket & climbing frame, and is still home to Ireland’s Tallest Treehouse.
If the sun isn’t shining all day long, the Science Centre is steeped in history with all the incredible inventions that happened in Birr over many generations, including the great telescope.
Birr’s stunning Gardens in the 120 acres of Birr Castle Demesne, with magical river walks, and an awesome Great Telescope, ticks all the boxes for the nature lover, garden enthusiasts, scientists, historians, and photographers. This year there is the opportunity to bring some of the world-famous Birr Gardens home with you with stunning plants for sale.
Also, call into our gift shop on your way out which stocks many wonderful Irish designed gifts for all ages, and if you are feeling thirsty or peckish pop into our newly refurbished Courtyard Café. The Café is opened 7 days a week (March – October) and weekends only (November – Mid March)
And if you are looking for something really special, take a Castle Tour (12 years and over. May to August. Pre-booking essential)
The Parsons family have lived here since 1620 and the castle is a rare gem in the heart of Ireland and part of Ireland. The castle tour includes a 45-minute guided tour of stunningly beautiful reception rooms. A guide will lead you through the magnificent rooms while educating you on the extraordinary and pioneering history of the Parsons family, most especially in science. Your guide will also discuss the antique furniture, the family portraits, chandeliers, and tapestries within the rooms you visit.
Birr Castle is situated in the Heritage town of Birr, known for its Georgian architecture and easily accessible from all over Ireland, and is the perfect day out.
- General admission tickets can be purchased online and at reception.
- Castle tours must be pre-booked. Castle tours in May, June, July, and August. Monday to Saturday at 10.00, 11.30, and 13.00 each day, pre-booking is essential to avoid disappointment. Castle tours are suitable for 12 years and above only.
- The café opens each day in the summer season and for weekends only in the winter season serving fresh local produce and home bakes.
- Car parking is available in the public car park across from our main entrance. This is a pay-and-display car park
Created over generations, Birr Castle Demesne is an environmental and scientific time capsule, a living breathing evolving place of beauty and inspiration.
Birr Castle Demesne Opening Times
- Daily 09:00 to 16:30
- Last entry is 15:30
Birr Castle Demesne Admission Prices
- Adults €10
- Family (2+2) €26
- Seniors (65 plus) €8
- Students (16 plus with valid student I.D) €7.50
- Children (5-16) €5
- Children 4 and under free of charge
For details of their upcoming events, including Easter, Summer, Halloween, and Christmas events, click here