Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre
Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre
Hidden treasures and firm favourites – with something for every visitor.
Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre remains one of Ireland’s top attractions.
New this season is our recently upgraded Treehouse Adventure playground that has received some new additions including a swing set, swinging basket & climbing frame and is still home to Ireland’s Tallest Treehouse.
If the sun isn’t shinning all day long, the Science Centre is steeped in history with all the incredible inventions that happened in Birr over many generations, including the great telescope.
Birr’s stunning Gardens in the 120 acres of Birr Castle Demesne, with magical river walks, and awesome Great Telescope, tick all the boxes for the nature lover, garden enthusiasts, scientists, historians and photographers. This year there is the opportunity to bring some of the world-famous Birr Gardens home with you with stunning plants for sale.
Also call into our gift shop on your way-out which stocks many wonderful Irish designed gifts for all ages and if you are feeling thirsty or peckish pop into our newly refurbished Courtyard Café opened 7 days a week.
And if you are looking for something really special, take a castle tour (12 years and over. May to August. Pre-booking essential)
The Parsons family have lived here since 1620 and the castle is a rare gem in the heart of Ireland and part of Ireland. The castle tour includes a 45-minute guided tour of stunningly beautiful reception rooms. A guide will lead you through the magnificent rooms while educating you on the extraordinary and pioneering history of the Parsons family, most especially in science. Your guide will also discuss the antique furniture, the family portraits, chandeliers and tapestries within the rooms you visit.
Birr Castle is situated in the Heritage town of Birr, known for its Georgian architecture and easily accessible from all over Ireland and is the perfect day out.
- Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre is open daily 9am to 6pm (Mar - Oct) 10am to 4pm (Nov-Feb).
- General admission tickets can be purchased on-line and at reception. Family tickets cost €26 for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children up to 16 years). Children under 5 are FOC. General admission with Castle Tours cost €18 per person
- Castle tours must be pre-booked. Castle tours in May, June, July and August. Monday to Saturday at 10.00, 11.30, and 13.00 each day, pre-booking is essential to avoid disappointment. Castle tours are suitable for 12 years and above only.
- Café opens each day and will be serving fresh local produce and home bakes.
- Parking close by €2, for five hours.
Created over generations, Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre is an environmental and scientific time capsule, a living breathing evolving place of beauty and inspiration.
Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre Opening Times
- Peak season: Mid-March to October 09:00 to 18:00
- Off-peak season: November to Mid-March 10:00 to 16:30
- These opening times are guidelines only
Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre Admission Prices
- Adults €9.50
- Seniors (65 plus) €8.00
- Students (16 plus with valid student I.D) €7.50
- Children (5-16) €5.00
- Children 4 and under free of charge
- Guided Castle Tour €18.00 (May-Aug only, selected times, age 12 plus, pre-booking is essential)
For details of their upcoming events, including Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas events, click here
HALLOWEEN AT BIRR CASTLE GARDENS & SCIENCE CENTRE
Daily 09:00 to 17:00
Activities from Saturday 26th October to Sunday 3rd November*
• Family Quest
• Pumpkin Trail
• The Gallery Challenge
• Seasonal Face Painting on selected dates and times
• Arts and Crafts Workshops
And a few more surprises along the way
No pre-booking required!!!
Children’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
*Limited places for the Arts & Crafts Workshops. Pre-registration upon arrival, allocation will be based on a first come basis.
Birr Castle Gardens is open from 09:00 to 17.00 each day of the Halloween Mid-term Break.
Our Treehouse Adventure Playground and The Courtyard Cafe will be open daily.